Good things are happening with ACEC’s Young Professionals Network.
“The Young Professionals Network (YPN), founded in 2011, provides a forum for Young Professionals (YP) from across the country to support the Association of Consulting Engineering Companies (ACEC) of Canada and the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) in their mission to promote a business environment that recognizes and rewards consulting engineers’ expertise and contributions to society. The YPN is comprised of YP representatives from Member Organizations across Canada whose regional YP groups host networking and professional development events, engage with their local communities, and provide leadership opportunities to their members. Originally established as a communication committee, the YPN allows members to support each other, share lessons learned and facilitate consistent program delivery across the country to provide best value to the YPs they serve.” - Siobhan Robinson, M.A.Sc., P.Eng., Chair, ACEC Young Professionals Network 2017-2019
YPN: A Pan-Canadian Network
The ACEC-YPN is a network of YP groups located across Canada. The first provincial ACEC YP group was established in Alberta in 2005, since that time YP groups in British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, and New Brunswick have emerged and are thriving. Newer YP groups in the Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador, and PEI have recently been established and continue to grow.
The YPN will unite and strengthen the YP network across Canada by promoting best practices and leadership while also creating a network of cross-disciplined and diverse engineers who will be the future leaders of the Canadian consulting engineering industry.
- To create a forum allowing YP Groups from across Canada to share ideas and best practices.
- To serve as the voice of YPs to ACEC.
- To promote ACEC and its activities to YPs across Canada.
- To provide leadership and guidance for the development of new provincial YP Groups across Canada.
- To support existing YP groups to meet their objectives.
- To assist in the development of the YP business program at the ACEC national leadership conference.
The YPN meet quarterly to work towards these objectives.
What YP Groups Do
YP groups are directed towards Young Professionals that work at ACEC member firms. YP groups host a variety of professional development seminars and networking events to develop the business skills necessary to succeed in the consulting industry.
The objectives of the YP groups are:
- To promote a better understanding of the function, role and business of ACEC Member Organizations.
- To understand, promote and grow relationships between clients and consultants.
- To create a cross discipline network of young professionals within the engineering consulting industry.
- To promote mentoring opportunities.
- To interact with similar YP organizations within other industries to help promote consulting engineering, exchange ideas, and identify mutually beneficial opportunities.
- To advocate on behalf of YPs to promote their interests within the consulting engineering industry.
- To increase awareness of ACEC Member Organizations and consulting engineering to stakeholders and the general public.
- To support a dynamic working environment.
- To promote involvement in various ACEC Member Organization committees and at events.
How to join
The ACEC Young Professionals Network (YPN) is comprised of one elected representative (or co-representatives) from each ACEC Provincial and Territorial Members Organizations (MO). Each MO elects an individual within their own provincial or territorial YP network to join the ACEC YPN. You must be currently employed within a member firm and be part of your MO’s YP network to be eligible for election into the ACEC YPN.
Download this information in PDF
For more information on ACEC's Young Professionals Network, contact Communications Manager, Christina Locmelis at firstname.lastname@example.org.